Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, and Happy New Year!
2020 has left us all scratching our heads, asking “When will it end?” Probably not on December 31 like most of us hope. 2020 has now become a verb. “Dude, you just got 2020’d!” like this year has been a bad thing. It has not all been bad. Check out my Strava. I have done lots of rides this year and have logged more miles than ever and they keep on going.
I usually close my notes by saying, “Wave to me if we meet on the road or trail.” Well, I will continue to use that closing because I intend to ride outside this winter if possible. One thing that keeps me going are a few crazy friends. We push each other to ride, when sitting on the couch sounds much more inviting. Also, the “Festive 500,” on Strava sponsored by Rapha is taking place from December 24-31. The goal is to ride outside for 500 km (310 miles). Crazy, right? Ya, I know!
Most experts tend to think that the first few months of 2021 are going to be just the same as the last nine months of 2020. So, what are you going to do about that? I always look at the beginning of the year as a time to reset. I am not real big into resolutions, because I tend not to keep them anyway. But now is a great time to look ahead to 2021 and reflect on 2020. Here are some of 2020’s highlights:
- Cancellation of the 2020 Capital City Century shifted focus to a different type of ride (the COVID Capital City Century) where more than 100 riders registered to support the Club. You contributed nearly $1,400 to the Club that was lost by the traditional CCC.
- The bylaws for the Club were rewritten and when presented to the membership for vote, passed. This will help the Board move in the future with clear, precise rules that can govern our operations.
- Membership categories have been simplified and new fee structures are in place for January 2021.
- A new board was voted upon by general membership in November. Twenty-five percent of the board are new to being on the Board. As president, I look forward to leading this group into 2021.
- Depending upon the course of COVID in 2021, we are planning to do more cycling and community events.
As is always the case, we want to hear from you. You can email the entire board at once at email@example.com.
Wave to me if we meet (all bundled up) on the road or trail.
SBC Acting President